iPad Pro as main machine after 2 years
Initially, iPad was fun device for infotainment. But slowly I started to become more productive on it. I stopped doing web or app development. Instead, switched to command-line based projects such as algorithmic trading or data science experiments. It was sort of subconscious change as I carry iPad around a lot more than my laptop and when I had iPad with me, I didn’t wanna build anything with UI.
Currently, I cannot get rid of my personal laptop completely because I use it for some dev projects, I was learning Flutter and been playing with Godot. I tried to setup Flutter on my VPS but I could never get it to work right. Also laptop is needed for various trading softwares like Wealth Lab Pro or Think or Swim. Wealth Lab Pro is what got me into algorithmic trading but unfortunately it is Windows only. However, I am using RDP to log into Windows machine from my iPad. It is not a smooth experience but doable.
Currently, I use following apps on iPad Pro:
- Blink shell for ssh connections to my VPSes.
- ia Writer for writing fiction.
- Kindle app
- Working Copy for working with my repos on github and bitbucket.
- Apple Photos app
- Procreate for drawing and painting
- Affinity Photo for drawing and editing photos
- Snapseed for editing photos
- Apple Notes for quick notes with Pencil
- Dropbox for transferring files between Windows machine, Android phone, and MacBook Pro
- Microsoft Remote Desktop
- And then usual entertainment apps such Netflix, YouTube, etc
Also I tend to avoid installing most apps and use websites, like Reddit or Facebook. I rather login to website instead of an app on my machine that is constantly monitoring and sending data to mothership.